I thought this was going to be harder than it has been. I am not sure my son would say the same thing. Last Tuesday evening when my husband and I were out I did receive a text from my son that explained to me that he is not creative and has no imagination to continue NOT playing video games and watching TV. I completely understand how he felt. So far though, we are doing pretty well. Jonah did tell me last night that we only have 19 days left.
We are making up the rules as we go along, but I incorrectly categorized our electronic “fast” as a “ban” last week and I wanted to clarify….we haven’t banned anything.
- In our house, no television and no video games. The exception to that rule is on Friday, September 6.
- When at someone else’s house, their house rules apply. If TV is okay, it is fine by me.
- Computers are okay as long as it is something creative like writing, photo editing, blogging, etc.
- Phones are okay for communication purposes.
- Without the electronics, we are eating more meals together at the TABLE.
- The kids are finding books they enjoy reading.
- Toys are being rediscovered!
- We are playing family games.
- Homework is less of a chore to get finished. Even the extra credit is done by the end of the day.
- The park across the street is their newly discovered favorite place to be.
- There are things that the parents can do with out TV too. 😉
- Nothing like a good night sleep for the whole family. Who said 8:30 is too early to sleep?
- Samir and I have a tendency to try to go through our family time as quickly as possible to get to the television and “relax.” Not to mention that “Breaking Bad” is hardly RELAXING!! This is teaching us to be more mindful while we are together.
- Need something to do? Pack your own lunch for tomorrow!