This is about me (and maybe you?)
It is about my struggles with self loathing. It is about the struggle to be better, but never defining better so consistently “failing”.
It is about the revolution of not doubting my own worth based on how much weight I lose.
I started to struggle to come up with phrases that would help me when challenged about my reversal of dieting culture. I often came up speechless when someone would comment on another person’s weight, what they ate and how much of it in a day, how many pants sizes they had dropped. I had to come up with some one liners to lead me through the responses. This became my mantra.
- I am not how much I weigh or how much I’ve gained or how much I’ve lost.
- I am not what I eat…I’m what I do and what I say.
- Changing my shape and size isn’t going to make me happy
- Changing the way I feel about my body/myself will.
- I respectfully decline to discuss your size, my size, her size or his size in any way.
- I will eat what I want, and move on.
- I swim, bike, or run every day…being healthy doesn’t mean being thin.
- I embrace my body as a part of me.
How do you respond comments about your weight or other’s weight? Why do people think it is acceptable?